CHUNKY POTATO SOUP
3 medium red potatoes
1 small onion
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Crushed red pepper flakes
Ground black pepper
3 cups milk
½ teaspoon sugar
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cooked sausage (slices into bite size pieces)
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Bring water to a boil in large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside potatoes. Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water if necessary: set aside.
- Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to saucepan: cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
- Add flour to saucepan: season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan: stir well. Add cheese and sausage. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Store leftovers, covered in refrigerator.